Summary: The Collision Center Estimator is responsible for the intake of vehicles, including preparation of repair estimates, identifying and estimating vehicles coming in to the body shop. This person’s key role is to seek out information, estimate repair times and costs, and capture business for the collision center. S/he must understand how each insurance company operates their claims and be able to explain and help out our potential customers with their claim. S/he must be able to communicate with the customer and the collision center staff to ensure that all parties are aware of the timeline and any issues which may arise. By his/her actions, the Estimator influences the volume of service business done and plays a key role in assuring customer satisfaction.
- Walk around each vehicle that enters the collision center.
- Note damages that can be repaired, meet customers to explain repairs, costs and timelines for repairs.
- Be knowledgeable about collision repair and the cost of repairs.
- Estimate cost of body work for potential customers and insurance carriers consistent with costs, expenses, profit goals and work schedules.
- Review damaged vehicles to determine whether to repair or replace parts.
- Work with Collision Manager using word track and process of listening to customer needs, recommending repairs and scheduling vehicles in for agreed repairs.
- Obtain and maintain adequate knowledge of collision repair and provide professional estimates.
- Be able to accurately give a verbal repair plan for potential customers.
- Understand insurance rates and rules as well as Kuni rates and rules to give an accurate estimate.
- Be able to use estimating software in the body shop to write detailed and accurate estimates.
- Make sure all repair orders include a clear definition of the problem and are written legibly.
- Verify that complaint, cause and correction are included on the repair order before release.
- Identify repairs that require special handling, such as rush, customer waiting, or comebacks.
- Understand and sell all potential repair types available (body repairs, window tinting, PDR, windshields etc).
- Retain and utilize pricing and processes needed to complete repairs.